Search This Blog

Friday, March 19, 2010

First Time Seeing SL!!

I will never EVA forget the first time I saw Sisterlocks. The woman was walking by my table, I was talking to someone and I just froze, it was like everything went into slow motion. When I got home that day I started searching all over the internet and I found Sisterlocks photos, the website and then blogs. My husband got sick of me hovering over my laptop till 3am reading and looking at all I could about SL. 2 weeks later we were sitting in a restaurant and a women came in and she had her SL hanging down to her lower back. My husband was in awe and when I told him that they were Sisterlocks that won his support! lol

2 days ago I was able to stop and talk to the first woman I saw and she was so flattered to have inspired me. Her hair looked lovely and she was VERY happy with it. It had grown sooo much since I first saw her and she had even trimmed them to remove some colored ends. Of course, I am over the moon because she called mine pretty (I used my soft spikes) and I inspired her to curl hers the next day. She walked by the next day and they looked awesome.

Sorry no camera so no pics but I just wanted to share this experience.

What was your first experience with Sisterlocks?

Stay Blessed!!
TWI

8 comments:

  1. The first time I noticed SL's was when I was surfing the internet about natural hair. I had just did the BC & was looking for info on how to tend to my natural hair because all of the store bought crap I had tried on my hair was just not working. The first photo I saw was of Salkis her SL's are gorgeous. Needless to say I didn't lock until three years later but I was indeed inspired by her photo's!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Her locks are gorgeous and she was one of the first few blogs that I looked at!

    ReplyDelete
  3. for a s long as i could remember i have had a dream where i've seen myself with long curly hair. i mean i was a child growing up... i'd have different dreams and my hair was at different lengths but always curly and mostly long and i knew in the dreams it was MY hair. i never understood the dreams because my hair was not curly. so on with my life i went natural about 15 years ago and did different things weaves braids, etc i like my styles but was never really satisfied. my last style before SL were braids, and i decided similar to your earlier post, i wanted the ahir to be MY hair and MY length. My sister who is a hair stylist said i should look into sister locks because i said i was thinking about locking my hair. well i got onto the site and saw dr cornwell's hair and realized... in all those dreams my hair was locked!!!! it was all my hair and i must've curled it but it was on from there i researched my consultant, made my appointment and 6 months later i was SL'd. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is awesome!! That shows that if you dream something enough it can become reality.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello! Thank you for sharing your journey. I have SLs as well and I was wondering, how did you get rid of the grey buildup?

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am sorry it took me so long to notice your question and I hope you receive this answer. I used Dawn Dish soap (it is great at removing build up) and then I soaked my hair with an ACV mix (1 part water 2 parts ACV) for 15 min. HTH

    ReplyDelete
  7. I was in Jamaica for a family reunion and was wearing double stranded twists with extensions and this lady in the water at the beach told me that I might be interested in trying sisterlocks and told me to visit the website. I found a consultant, asked many questions and then made plans to use my tax return to get them installed in April 2007. I have not looked back and my locks are shoulder length now.

    ReplyDelete
  8. It's true. You never do forget your first encounter with SLs. For me, I was on a cruise wearing kinky twists so I didn't have to worry about the wind and the water and the heat and humiidty.

    A friend of a friend had chin-length SLs. She had the cutest curly ends and beautifully textured braids? twists? locks?

    I kept looking because I could tell it was not weave, but I couldn't figure out what process had produced that effect.

    She told me that they were sisterlocks and explained about the tool and the method and it was just completely over my head.

    When I got home I rabidly researched SLs as well. There were no consultants nearby at the time. (She was from Arizona.) So I ended up waiting 3 years to get mine as well.

    Love your blog! Keep sharing your journey!

    ReplyDelete