Search This Blog

Wednesday, October 21, 2009

2 months

Well I have made it to my 2 month mark of being Sisterlocked!!! And I have to be honest I have been feeling many different varying emotions. Elation because for the first time in a long time I have done something for myself that I have always wanted to do. But at the same time I feel panic when I see how much I had to pay for my retightning. When I budgeted for it I did so using little above average quoted retightning time and price but my hair is taking much longer then expected. Little under 8 hours!! Also, I was not able to foresee how bad of a hit the household budget would take this month. I think there are many people feeling that crunch lately. Things will get better, I know that, but till then I have to figure a few things out!

Well back to better thoughts!!!! I love how my hair feels. It may feel as though it is not growing length wise actually it feels much shorter but it is thicker and you can see that I am growing locs. Here are some comparison shots.




Left= First day Right= 2 months

7 comments:

  1. sorry - I must have read that wrong. Did you just say it took 8 hours for a retightening?
    Was your hair completely unravelled/lots of slippage/new growth? I'm very confused...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm with Bajan - Eight hours seems very excessive for a Re-ti. Sounds like your consultant may be having some financial problems of her own that she is trying to take care of at your expense. I have 636 locks in my hair; which is super thick and it takes me about 4 hours to get Re-ti...sometimes 5...and she takes her time and is, in my opinion, on "chill mode". Which doesn't bother me because prior to getting my locs installed I asked my consultant what is the longest time I could be expected to be in her chair getting tightened. She told me six hours MAX at $25 an hour for a total of $150 per session. She has taken more than 6 hours on 2 occasions and when she was done, I handed her $150. She hasn't taken that long since. She also was insistent that I come every six weeks - which I did for the first year but after that, I set the tone and now go every 8 weeks. Good luck with your journey!

    ReplyDelete
  3. OMG....just saw that it took 30+ hours. I would have died. Mine took 18 hours and that was a killer...Girlfriend you need a new consultant. It's costing you too much money. SL's are an investment but your stocks are high risk. SERIOUSLY.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanx for your response and advice. I don't think that my consultant is purposely trying to rip me off but my budget can't handle so many hours per retightning. I had slippage but it was just 2-3 locks in the front we didn't even finish locking the back yet. sigh

    ReplyDelete
  5. yes locked sister!! I am also an SFV-er and its good to see others in our area are realizing the power, beauty and liberation locks can afford us sistas! Your locks look lovely and congrats and I look forward to seeign more of your progress!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. TWI - are you still with this consultant? I'm afraid I agree with Nihu here. I also think that the time taken to retighten has a lot to do with the individual stylist's skill (as well as number of locks, amount of new growth etc).

    I don't think your consultant is deliberately trying to rip you off, so please don't take my comments as an attack on her, I am just thinking about your finances. I know that I couldn't afford to sit for 8 hours (and not even have all of my hair done)! I just don't think that is in line with the proposed 'freedoms' SLs are meant to give us. Hope your next re-tighten is quicker :)

    Good luck xx

    ReplyDelete